Coal-State Dem Fight Obama's Energy Policy

Coal-state Democrats have been as scathing as any Republican in reaction to new restrictions on coal-fired power plants in the president's climate change plan, unveiled Tuesday in a speech at Georgetown University. Though Obama doesn't require the help of Congress for the Environmental Protection Agency to impose the rules, some Democrats made clear they will pressure the administration from inside the party to scale back. They claim the regulations will kill jobs, but working with the coal industry to improve its own clean-coal technology won't. Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.V.), said, "I should not have to be sitting here as a U.S. senator, fighting my own president and fighting my own government. I will continue to reach out, but I need a partner here. I don't need an adversary."

Comments